Superhero Syndrome Audiobook Blog Tour
Author: Caryn Larrinaga
Narrator: Ruby Hankey
Length: 7 hours and 55 minutes
Series: Solstice Survivors, Book 1
Publisher: Twisted Tree Press
Released: Jun. 19, 2019
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Tess McBray was dying. The solstice syndrome had no cure, and she resigned herself to an early grave. But just when she gave up on survival, all her symptoms mysteriously disappeared.
All but one symptom, anyway. Something is wrong with Tess’ hands. They absorb any material they touch, and her skin turns to wood, steel, or concrete. It doesn’t take this comic book obsessed 21-year-old long to figure out what’s going on: Somehow, she’s developed super powers. And she’s not the only one; across the country, people are coming forward and sharing their gifts with the world. In her own city, where the police are battling a human trafficking operation, a masked vigilante called The Fox is saving lives and stopping criminals.
Tess doesn’t know where she fits into this new, super-powered world. But when people around her start disappearing, she can’t just sit on the sidelines. Teaming up with The Fox to create the world’s first superhero duo might be the only way to rid her city of evil and save the people she loves most.
Caryn Larrinaga is an award-winning mystery, horror, and urban fantasy writer. Her debut novel, Donn’s Hill, was awarded the League of Utah Writers 2017 Silver Quill in the adult novel category and was a 2017 Dragon Award finalist.
Watching scary movies through split fingers terrified Caryn as a child, and those nightmares inspire her to write now. Her 90-year-old house has a colorful history, and the creaking walls and narrow hallways send her running (never walking) up the stairs. Exploring her fears through writing makes Caryn feel a little less foolish for wanting a buddy to accompany her into the tool shed.
Caryn lives near Salt Lake City, Utah, with her husband and their clowder of cats.
Caryn is an active member of the League of Utah Writers and the Utah Chapter of the Horror Writers Association.
Based out of the NYC area, Ruby Hankey works as a theatre/film professional in myriad mediums of the arts. As a lover of world travels, tap dance, ukulele, French absurdism and the outdoors, she is always ready for a new adventure. Ruby has choreographed and performed for venues including The Duke Theater, Symphony Space, Edinburgh Fringe Festival, Joyce Theatre, Queens Theatre in the Park, Luna Stage and recently appeared in Current Harbor's '59RPM at HERE Arts Center! Her latest audiobook, Superhero Syndrome by Caryn Larrinaga is now available.
- Tess: Comic book obsessed 21-year old Tess McBray has used her wit as a shield her whole life. Never one to stick around through a difficult situation, Tess’ preferred method of dealing with conflict has always been to run away… usually to a completely different city or state. She’s short and keeps her blond hair the same way, and is easily tempted by salty foods, good beer, and cute cosplay accessories. Suddenly being able to turn her hands into any material she touches turns her life upside-down in a way that only friendship, sisterhood, and a truckload of sass can help her survive.
- Bethany: Tess’ older sister Bethany is the girly-girl Tess is just too lazy to be. In her late 20’s, she loves keeping up with the latest fashions, bargain-hunting to stay in style. She’s bubbly and positive, always looking for the best in the people around her… which means she has a huge blindspot when it comes to her husband.
- Angie: Tess’ best friend Angie is the only person in her life who can out-nerd her, and she lets her obsession with Star Trek color everything from her wardrobe to her interior decorating choices. A fiercely loyal friend, Angie works hard to push Tess out of her comfort zone while still looking out for her.
- The Fox: Aside from being… well, foxy… The Fox is everything Tess imagined a superhero would be: strong, brave, and determined to do everything he can to help the people around him. Not one to shy away from questionable costume choices like super-tall ears that stick up from his mask, The Fox loves a dramatic entrance almost as much as he loves kicking bad-guy butt.
Caryn Larrinaga's Casting Picks
- Tess: Kathryn Newton was born to play Tess. After watching her in Supernatural and Pokémon Detective Pikachu, I know she could carry Tess’s snark with style! https://www.imdb.com/media/rm3069006592/nm1105980
- Bethany: Emma Roberts would be a perfect Bethany. Much as I love when she plays a bitch, like in Scream Queens, I’d love to see her play against type and bring out more of her chic, sweet, compelling energy to the role of Bethany and make the audience want to fight for her as hard as Tess does. https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0731075/mediaviewer/rm2579984384
- Angie: I’d love to see Camila Mendez play Angie. She brought a real fierceness to the role of Veronica Lodge on Riverdale, and Angie is the fierce geeky girl we all need in our lives. https://www.imdb.com/name/nm6161516/mediaviewer/rm3761321472
- The Fox: Nicholas Hoult would be my immediate first choice. He’s no stranger to playing a superhero after the X-Men: First Class movies, and he’d be able to brood and smolder through the Fox’s (somewhat silly) mask. https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0396558/mediaviewer/rm3837265920
Giveaway: Superhero Syndrome Prize PackSuperhero Syndrome Giveaway: Audiobook Prize Pack
Dab of Darkness Audiobook Reviews
The Book Junkie Reads . . .
Momma Says To Read or Not to Read
Smada's Book Smack
Turning Another Page
Valerie Ullmer | Romance Author
Country Road Reviews
Jazzy Book Reviews
All the Ups and Downs
My Creatively Random Life
Plugging you into the audio community since 2016.
Sign up as a tour host here.